Thursday, July 22, 2010

We Made It!

Hello everyone,

It has been quite the first 24 hours of this journey. After meeting at the church at 7 for a prayer send-off, we loaded up the coach bus and headed to JFK at 1 in the morning. The Lord was faithful in our travels and we made it through all the airport fun with no problems. We arrived in Port-au-Prince right on schedule, and just by looking out the window I began to realize that this nation is indeed the poorest of the poor. The poverty is striking - whole cities that are set up in a small plot of land - made up of tents and tarps. How these people are able to get food and survive is a question I keep asking myself. I pray that as we go through these next 10 days the Lord will give each of us a deeper understanding of His heart towards the poor and the broken. I think it is a good thing for these youth to be exposed to this reality of our world and to wrestle with it. I'm believing this will open their eyes in an all knew way as they see and experience things they never have before.

A BIG praise in this first day is every single piece of luggage was retrieved in Haiti. It was an awful lot of bags and a blessing that they all made it through. Everyone is feeling quite exhausted - most only got 1-3 hours of sleep last night. But nonetheless there is an excitement to get started and to work like crazy these next 9 days and to be a part of extending the hope of God to these people. Continue to pray for strength and energy from the Lord and that a spirit of irritation or grumbling would not enter in to the group. It is certainly very hot down here and we will be keeping close tabs to make sure noone is getting too dehydrated. Tomorrow will be our first work day - working all together to build a tin home for a family to live in. So far everyone is healthy - praying it remains that way!

Thanks for your prayers. They are powerful and absolutely necessary. We will keep you posted on the progress!

8 comments:

  1. "So here I am ready to have all of You....You are the one who fulfills all of my desires....You are love, You are life....Your my joy, Your my peace..You are truth, You are power...Now I'm standing here in this moment with you, there's no place I'd rather be." Beckah Shae
    Our prayer for you is that each of the team members hearts are filled with this song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A comment for Joey Diller....
    Joey, I am so honored to be your prayer buddy. I spoke with your mom on Thursday and have been praying for you ever since. Did you feel the love? So sorry I missed your call. I am so proud of you. God bless you and your team as you share God's love with Haiti.
    Love, Mrs. Diller

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsey Cooper, we are praying for you daily and are so proud of you. Mom, Dad, Nicki, Jocey, Boo, Luis, Chris, Liza, and the Z-man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys! Thanks so much for updating us! We are back home thinking about and praying for you guys constantly!!! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin Craul
    Hey - It's your Aunt Brenda---we are keeping you and your entire group in our prayers. Blessings to you all and we pray that lives may be changed because of your willingness to go and serve other for Christ.
    Love ya
    Aunt Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nate,

    HAPPY 18th BIRTHDAY!!!!! We love you! We are praying for you and the group. We love the updates and are anxious to hear how God uses you there. I'm sure the needs are overwhelming.Do everything for the glory of the Lord!
    Love,
    Mom,Dad,Amber,Ethan,Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Joe! How many trees have you climbed? We are voting for you. We are out at J & M Dillers in western MD. Jon and Steve went out and climbed some trees with a rope and harness. We figured you would have liked that. Your bros and father went boating on the lake. We are praying for you and your team. May this be a rewarding experience for all of you and may you have an impact for Christ in this area. Love Dad and Mom and family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for you and thanking GOD for the prayers that are already answered. Thanks for your willingness to be the hands and feet of Jesus! Praying and Trusting and Believing GOD! GOD IS WITH YOU!! PRESS ON!
    Blessings, Marcia

    ReplyDelete